Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I Was A Home-Wrecking Coke Head And All I got Was This Lousy Tee Shirt From the 4 Seasons

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Driving to work at an obscenely early hour on this beautiful spring day, I happened to drive by the office of this guy, John, I used to... Oh, lets be euphemistic and say date.

I havent really thought about him in years. I only "dated" him for a few months in college. But driving by his building today, I felt a twinge of nostalgia... then, I vomited on my shoes.

John was a gorgeous, ibanking, coke-head CEO in his late thirties or early forties, or mid fifties or something. He had a wife, but I never had to hear about her. They were still married so I was never subjected to one of those droning "amicable divorce" fairy tales guys like to tell.

He had a kid too, but he never even mentioned the kid to me until 2 months in to things, when I inquired about a crumpled up stick figure drawing I found in his suitcase while I was rifling around for yay.

I asked "What the hell is this?" John said his kid made it for him, shrugged, handed me a rolled up hundred dollar bill and proceeded to use his Black Amex to make rails on the dash board of his Lexus.

John was having a nice, traditional midlife crisis, where you just pretend all those grown up parts of your life never even happened, and you never talk about them.

Sure, he was a horrible father, a neglectful husband and a pretty terrible person all around, but he was really good in bed, and I got to stay in some of the best hotels Manhattan has to offer.

I never had to have opinions, or be there for him through the tough times. All I had to do was eat expensive food, play nice with his clients, and not ask to many questions. So simple.

Then, in the mornings, Id wake up at the 4 Seasons or where ever, John would be gone, room service would be at the door, and a car service would be at my disposal. It was like a fairy tale! Ok, it was more like a scene from Requiem For A Dream, but still.

Then, one sad day, his wife started bitching or his kid got sick or something, and John just kind of faded away

Driving by, I wondered what John was up to these days. His kids about five now, I guess. Shes going to be something else when she grows up! Boy, am I glad Im not her.

Except, of course, that I pretty much am.